[OZAPRS] Two Sound Cards

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sun May 4 15:47:44 EST 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 02:27:51PM +1000, vk3xc1 wrote:
> A little off topic and cross posted with the ubuntu-au list. naughty I
> know. This group has never let me down yet
>

> Xubuntu 7.10 on an Intel SE440BX-2 mobo, PIII 500 CPU, 384M of ram.
>
> I want to run 2 sound cards to run 2 ham radio applications, Xastir and
> FBB. Sound cards are ESS Solo-1 and Creative Model CT4810 (CT5880
> chipset). Has anyone tried this? I think I should be able to run both
> apps as FBB will run as a service.
>
> Ubuntu seems happy to find the SOLO-1, but no immediate sign of the
> Creative.  I'm off to find a Howto right now, but some guidence would be
> appreciated.
>
> It may be that I'm a little out of my depth here!

Hi,
That should work fine. "aplay -l" should list your available sound
output devices. On my system I have the on-board sound and a USB sound
adapter and I get:

card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S - IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: External [SB Live! 24-bit External], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

One issue is the allocation of IDs to the sound cards. They should get
allocated 0 and 1, but the order may be effectively random. You can fix
this by creating a file in /etc/modprobe.d; mine's called
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-options but the name isn't too important. Mine says

# Set preferred order of the sound cards
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1

You'll have to substitute the names of the relevant drivers for your
cards, once you know what they are. (Use lsmod and look for snd.. to
find them).

Hamish