[OZAPRS] Brisbane 70cm IGate coverage

Peter Schrader - VK4TGV vk4tgv at rumpleteazer.net
Thu Mar 27 12:41:14 EST 2008

Sorry People,

As Dave quite rightly pointed out, I am a double-dill.  439.100 is the
National UHF APRS frequency according to the QDG and aprs.net.au websites.

Andrew, if you wanted to try some aeronautical stuff let me know and I will
throttle the transmit rate back to something more likely to let a moving
station through.

This morning during the drive from home (Northgate) to work (Brendale) I was
able to hear the IGate reasonably OK using a FT7800, where the TT4 and
HamHUD combo managed to decode and display about 80% of the transmitted
traffic (roughly).  From what I can see my vehicle position was not gated
from about the Deagon deviation, more investigation is needed here, or
perhaps there is simply too much traffic for a mobile to be heard?

Here at work I have a vertical up about 20 metres off the ground, and am
decoding the packets 100% using a FT60 and uTNT TNC.  I am thinking this is
better suited for home stations anyway, so for fixed installations a beam
might be needed until we can get some UHF digipeaters going.  I don't really
want to go down the UHF digi path until we get all the SEQ VHF digi's 100%
upgraded and tuned.

So if people could tune up there and let me know if you can here it from
your home QTH, I'd be most grateful.

As always, I am open ears for comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Peter
VK4TGV