[OZAPRS] Re: [ZLAPRS] HF operational

Mike Zwingl oe3mzc oe3mzc at oevsv.at
Sun Mar 23 21:11:30 EST 2008

Hi all, interested in HF-APRS,
it is important to note that the tones used are most important in conjunction with dial frequency setting.
so 10151kHz LSB is only correct when you use 1600/1800Hz tones,
same for 10147,6kHz USB with 1600/1800Hz Standard tones !!!
>From my knowledge PK232 uses much higher tones (2125Hz) which would require some adjustment in dial qrg in order to compensate for the offset. Main reason is, that most soundcards or tnc decoders only have a decode window of 30Hz (!!)

There is only one product for HF-APRS that allows frequency drift of more than 800Hz,
that is a DSP-TNC from company SCS.
For serious HF-APRS gateway use I can recommend to use a DSP-TNC.
see www.scs-ptc.com/datasheets/scs_datasheet_tracker_english.pdf

This tnc can also be used as stand alone tracker and will display and transmit all measured frequency deviations for each station heard in a regular dF(Hz) beacon.
see: http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=OE3MZC-4
or http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=oe3xur-4

vy 73 de Mike
oe3mzc/Vk3FPF