[OZAPRS] First time on APRS

Geoff geoff at gatwards.org
Thu Jun 26 10:48:23 EST 2008

G'day Gerard,  Welcome to the group :-)

SSS8S1 is part of your position report.  The TM-D710 like many other APRS
units transmit the position in a COMPRESSED format.

qAR is a string that is appended by the IGate that received your beacon from
RF.  The 'q' codes are only used by the APRS-IS (Internet Service).  Since
you are viewing your data via one of the many online databases, you see this
part of the beacon.

I'm not familiar with the TM-D710 (I have a D700), but I believe you should
be seeing position beacons from other users.  It is possible however that
you are just in a bad spot. . . And knowing where you are I think this could
be the case . . .

You were heard by VK2RSW-1, which is only a Fill-In digi, and therefore does
not digipeat a lot of data. The WIDE digi's serving Sydney are VK2US-1 (in
the heard of the CBD), VK2RUW-1 at Wollongong and VK2RAG-1 at Gosford.

Regards,
Geoff  VK2XJG