[OZAPRS] Slightly OT: antennas on a station wagon?

Shaun Pitcher spitcher at energy.com.au
Mon Jun 23 06:56:07 EST 2008

With the addition of Bluetooth hands free to the work vehicle I now have a
on glass mobile phone antenna doing nothing.  I had planned to fabricate a
1/4 wave for 2m to run the APRS.

I need to find another base so I can reverse engineer it (Pull apart) to
see what mods will be needed to 2m.

Off to Wallsend today, from Sydney,  so I will fire up the aprs and see
how coverage goes.

Regards,
Shaun Pitcher   VK2XPP-9

Ron Perry <ronk at ncable.com.au>
Sent by: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au
17/06/2008 08:10 PM
Please respond to
Australian APRS Users  <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>

Australian APRS Users <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>
cc

Subject
Re: [OZAPRS] Slightly OT: antennas on a station wagon?

The roof is the go.  Best position, best results. If you're keeping the
Holden as long as the Hilux, it will not drop any value, and you can
replace the dualbander with a mobile phone antenna when it's due to be
sold.
Ron
vk3ecv (about to drill another hole in next to the centre light)

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 08:05 +1000, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> Howdy Folks,
>
> So the trusty old hilux is going this weekend, and being replaced by a
new commode wagon (the carpal tunnel just wasn't tolerating the
non-power-steering 4wd..), so my radios are already out, and ready to go
in the new car..  the head for the 8100 is going to be niice, as there's a
nice little storage box with an open-down lid to cover it in the centre
console!.  But I'm having trouble figuring where/how to do the antennas
(I'll have a 2/70 for the ft8100, and a 2 for a tinytrack on an old tait
(that i still have to figure out how to get onto the aprs freq's ;) )..

> If it was a sedan I'd put em on the boot lid, if it wasn't a commodore
I'd put em on the bonnet, but my VR never liked having anything remotely
RF passing through the cab.  I'd really refer not to shove em on the roof
of the wagon, because that'll put its total height up a bit, plus look
kinda wierd..  But other than maybe trying to find some of these elusive
glass-mount antennas I've heard folks talk about (and which I'm sure must
be pretty lossy??), I'm a bit stumped as to how you 'cleanly' put antennas
on a wagon!!  Any ideas?

> Cheers,
>
> DG
>
> --
> Damien Gardner Jnr
> VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
> rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/
> --
> We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
>   We ran to the sounds of thunder.
> We danced among the lightning bolts,
>   and tore the world asunder

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information, including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.