[OZAPRS] [Fwd: [aprssig] Strange Goings-on With WXSVR -- What'sHappening??]

Geoff geoff at gatwards.org
Sun Dec 28 14:32:36 EST 2008

Ray,

Please feel free to post this response back to the TAPR group

It's not a "Future Lookalike" system - it's a NOW lookalike system :-)

WXSVR-AU was developed using the exact same protocol as the US WXSVR system.

Therefore, the stream meets the criteria to be filtered by the NWS filter on
the APRS-IS servers (t/n).

We checked with several sources in the USA closely linked to the WXSVR
system before we let WXSVR-AU loose, and the proviso on duplicating the
protocol was that we ensure that there are no overlaps of either the CWA
prefix or State abbreviations - this ensures that AU data does not trigger
false beacons in the US  (Which is why WA is WX in our system)

The WXSVR (USA) data probably disappeared for a while because that server
went down, leaving only the -AU data matching the filter :-)

Cheers,

Geoff   VK2XJG

  _____

I've cross-posted this from the TAPR group. Anyone know anything about it?

Ray vk2tv

[aprssig] Strange Goings-on With WXSVR -- What's Happening??

Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:44:09 -0800

Stephen H. Smith  <mailto:wa8lmf2 at aol.com> <wa8lmf2 at aol.com>

I took my APRS UIview websever down for about 12 hours yesterday to do
some major patching and updating of the OS and drivers.  When I
restarted it about 1:00 AM Pacific time and reconnected to
second.aprs.net:14580  ,    no WXSVR data for the NWS overlays on my US
map at:

      <http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439> <http://wa8lmf.dyndns.org:14439>

seemed to be coming from the server.  However, a continuous flow of
stuff apparently gated by "WXSVR-AU" which appeared to refer to places
in Australia WAS showing up in my raw data stream.      I had made no
changes in my filter port settings; i.e. was still using the *t/n*
filter port switch.

Is someone testing a future work-alike to the NWS overlays for
Australia?

Some hours later, the usual US feed of WXSVR data for the US shape file
overlays resumed.

What's going on ???

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com