[OZAPRS] VHF to HF Gateway for portable use ?

Michael Zwingl, OE3MZC oe3mzc at oevsv.at
Sun Dec 7 05:07:26 EST 2008

gday,
a single SCS DSP-TNC with firmware 1.2 and a FT-100 or similar in split mode
will do it all.
There is no need for a PC. The stand alone DSp-TNC Tracker will do crossband
and cross mode digipeating. RX on VHF in 1200baud and TX on HF with 300baud
or even in much more reliable Robust Packet mode.
I used this mode to relay my signals from hand held APRS-trx while hiking in
desserts of Namibia and using the gear in my parking 4x4  to relay my
positions into the interrnet via the HF-gates on 10.147,6USB listening in ZS
and rest of world. Works very reliable!
Only disadvantage would be, that you cannot rx while tx, so you might miss
some positions from time to time on VHF depending on traffic. It is
important to keep the packet very short (compressed).

Please let me know if you need further advice on how to setup.
vy 73 de Mike
oe3mzc