[OZAPRS] usb-serial

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Mon Dec 1 00:00:47 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 08:10:26PM +1030, Kim Hawtin wrote:
> I'm curious to see if you pin specific USB serial devices to /dev/ttySx ports?
> Also have you used more than 128 serial ports?

No, in both cases. I agree that fixed naming for devices is important -
note the Windows users' complaints about new COMx devices being assigned
when devices are moved to different USB ports.

Modern distributions are assigning fixed IDs to other pluggable devices
likes disks and PCI cards but I don't know if this has extended to
serial adapters. It may be hard to identify them uniquely - disks have
serial numbers, network cards have MAC addresses but serial adapters?

> I've had issues with more than 128 serial devices hanging of a 2.4.x kernel,
> but have not tested this with a 2.6.x kernel yet. Especially the cheaper
> USB-Serial devices.

I've seen significant USB changes in 2.6, even between say 2.6.15 and
2.6.24. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see improvements in this area,
but I have no experience with large numbers of devices.

Hamish