[OZAPRS] test drive

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sun Apr 27 15:08:52 EST 2008

Dave,

Dave Walmsley wrote:

> Ray/Michael,
>
> I felt sure that most APRS guides suggest low power, so a quick look
> at http://www.aprs.net.au/newuser%20guide.htm, and I find "10 watts to
> 20 watts is more than enough."

I guess that just like it happens with voice repeaters, there'll always
be someone wanting to access a digi from down a mineshaft with a 1W
handheld and a rubber dummy load antenna.

> With my current setup 5W will have to do; although there is an FM 900
> here, that would need some re-programming and I never quite got the
> packet connections right. I think the next step is a "better" antenna.

I'm in the throws of setting up my old FM97 (an FM92 that thinks it's a
91) to go in the car (after a 5 year break). I'm still thinking about
how to be able to select aprs or voice. I suspect that whatever I do
will revolve around using the 8 pin DIN socket for the TT3+. That socket
already has tx audio (albeit requiring high-level), muted low-level rx
audio and PTT, and pin 8 (spare) can get switched +12 for the TT3.

Ray vk2tv