[OZAPRS] test drive

Dave Walmsley dave at hunterlink.net.au
Sun Apr 27 09:09:36 EST 2008

Ray/Michael,

I felt sure that most APRS guides suggest low power, so a quick look at
http://www.aprs.net.au/newuser%20guide.htm, and I find "10 watts to 20 watts
is more than enough."

With my current setup 5W will have to do; although there is an FM 900 here,
that would need some re-programming and I never quite got the packet
connections right. I think the next step is a "better" antenna.

Also, looking at where the good and bad signals were, it's clear that
terrain and vegetation (trees) make a big difference. e.g. heading out of
Raymond Terrace, the river flats were great, but after that the foliage may
have been a big contributor in killing my signal, not forgetting that it was
also VERY WET. I suspect that the couple of signals from Clarencetown were
because we went around the block, and even stopped for a few minutes (to
find that the Pub didn't have a bistro open :-( ).

I'll attach a print screen for those interested.

ON that topic.. I've used APRS.FI, is there a way to 'keep' my raw packets
and fed them into a mapping program myself, say Ozi?

Dave
VK2XPX