[OZAPRS] FW: [aprssig] RTrak: APRS All-In-One Tracker Sneak Peak

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Sun Sep 23 05:57:41 EST 2007

Andrew Rich VK4TEC
vk4tec at people.net.au <mailto:vk4tec at people.net.au>
http://www.tech-software.net

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Jason Rausch
Sent: Sunday, 23 September 2007 3:35 AM
To: srkleeds at sbcglobal.net; TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] RTrak: APRS All-In-One Tracker Sneak Peak

I am getting emails with the same three questions:

Q: What is the output power?
A: 500mW, but we found that with a 5/8 antenna, this
works pretty well in a fair to better digi covered
area.  I am looking into small amps, but I do not
suggest high power trackers that do not have the
capability to detect traffic on the channel.  This the
age old debate that started with the first
PocketTrackers.

Q: Does it have a receiver?
A: At this time, no receiver.  This tracker has the
same RF capabilities of the popular MicroTrak 300, but
also have the ability to be frequency agile.  SRB is
working on a transceiver, but there is no release date
at this time.

Q: What is the price?
A: The target price is $225, but this is not set in
stone and subject to change.  We include just about
everything you need to get up and going, except the 2M
antenna.  The package WILL include the GPS patch
antenna, lighter power cable and serial programming
cable.

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics
www.rpc-electronics.com

--- "Stan Leeds, KC7EHJ" <srkleeds at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Jason,
> Does this have the capability to "detect" that the
> RF channel is busy,
> so that it won't transmit over a station?
>
> Do you have any manual in rough draft at least to
> have some details?
>
> Looks good,
> Stan/KC7EHJ
>
> Jason Rausch wrote:
> > Ealier this week, I posted a couple of pictures on
> the
> > OpenTracker Yahoo group to show off our
> > latest product that is due near the end of
> Novemeber,
> > called the
> > RTrak.
> >
> > I have added a small section to our home page with
> the
> > pictures and
> > some basic information about it at:
> > www.rpc-electronics.com
> >
> > A basic description of the RTrak is an all-in-one
> > tracker with
> > integrated GPS, 2M Transmitter and SMT OpenTracker
> 1+.
> >  The package
> > will include a lighter power cord, GPS patch
> antenna
> > and serial
> > programming cable.  All you have to add is the 2M
> > antenna.  Tests so
> > far have shown that a 5/8 wave seems to work the
> best
> > for a mobile
> > setup.  We have done much bench testing with an
> SMA HT
> > whip style
> > antenna as well.  There is a potential for the
> RTrak
> > to be the
> > backpacker's APRS buddy with a small 12V gell
> cell.
> >
> > We are taking note of those interested in this for
> > pre-production
> > counts.  Please email us and let us know if you
> are
> > interested and if
> > you have any suggestions.  We are always open to
> > suggestions to make
> > our products better.
> >
> > We plan to have a working demo unit (or two) at
> DCC
> > next week to show off.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Jason KE4NYV