[OZAPRS] Gating DPRS to APRS

David Tilson dave at daves-portal.com
Thu Sep 20 20:06:52 EST 2007

Richard / Others,

>From the little understanding I have about D-Star / DPRS can you clarify
the following or correct me if my assumptions are incorrect...  Sorry
also if some think this is a little off topic, but if there are more
relevant forums in VK please let me know.

I believe you can program a SSID into the radio, which the java DPRS /
APRS interface will translate into an appropriate symbol (similar to
normal APRS).  I therefore presume that if you had multiple D-star units
that these could be configured with unique SSIDs and appear on the
network concurrently, similar to APRS.  Yes / no / maybe???

I believe that you need to program your callsign into the D-Star radio
and that your node / location info is maintained on a centralised
database which allows routing of voice calls across a gateway directly
back to your radio.  Any idea how this works if you, once again, have
multiple radios, which could possibly be operational across multiple
nodes at the same time, eg: 1 left on at home and 1 running in the car?
Ie does it rely on the originator sending a request to a specific SSID,
do the radios need different callsigns, etc?

Cheers,

Davidt, VK3UR