[OZAPRS] How to stop excessive digipeating?

Dave Ingram bulk at ingramtech.com
Thu Oct 18 21:29:37 EST 2007

Brian Beamish wrote:
> Great to see that you are taking an interest in the SEQ problems similar
> many that  have been occurring here for a long time.
> Wish others would do as you have done I am sure if they did they would
> appreciate the situation even more.

It seemed to me that there was much discussion about packets etc, but not
lot of detail. I have been reading what's going on over the last few
weeks,
but being a newbie, I'd like to be sure that I understand some of the
problems. That's why I looked 'on air' for a change -- I don't have a
dedicated APRS radio, so it takes some mucking around.

> It is not only the digipeater operators who need to look at their
parameters
> but mobile operators also.

I've tried different path settings, and it seems that because of the way
the
best digipeater for my area (VK4GME-3) is set up, I can't use 'new
paradigm'
with my /BM tracker which is limited to 5W. I need to use RELAY,WIDE so
VK4GME-3 will digi me.

In the car WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 seems to work quite well, although I don't
believe
the results. Apparently I'm getting into VK4UN's IGate directly, but he's
at
least 100km from me and I was running 25W into a 4dB whip. I've heard
there
are some path errors when WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is used, so perhaps there is a
hidden digi in there somewhere.
   VK4TDI-9>APOTC0,WIDE1*,WIDE2,qAO,VK4UN:!/\Dw<u/h>>KCG/A=000105

>From what I understand there has been recent discussion amongst the digi
owners, which is fantastic. While APRS is not really life and death, it is
an
interesting aspect of ham radio. I like the experimentation side of it,
and
being able to have my /BM position tracked is helpful incase I push things
too
far and need to get a lift home. My XYL at least has an idea of where to
head
thanks to the great maps that FindU, DB0ANF and aprs.he.fi produce.

I guess we need to appreciate that 145.175 is a shared resource and that
the
people who operate the digipeaters have put their own equipment in service
for
the benefit of all of us. Too many personal attacks and they might shut
them
down, leaving us all worse off.

Perhaps we need an alternate frequency for testing where it is a little
more
relaxed and excessive traffic is not a problem? Any thoughts on what to
use or
even if this idea has some merit?

Dave.
--