[OZAPRS] SEQLD Traffic

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Thu Oct 18 05:13:49 EST 2007

Before your time we had an issue with VK4GO gating constant traffic back
onto RF.

The situation fixed itself when Art moved overseas.

The issue is with unwanted traffic on an already saturated frequency.

You need to look at it from a Brisbane perspective.

Peter, VK4KHP-9 was driving along, going through 3 digis.

And bang, then again, came another packet from the north, re-injected into
the Brisbane area from VK4OG.

1200 baud is not fast, and unless managed can get very busy.

It is all about traffic density.

Most people are home and can see other "north" stations anyway through the
internet.

The only reason you would want to re-gate long distance traffic is to see
other traffic mobile.

I do not see that many hams driving along with a laptop "seeing" other
stations, let alone care what is going on 500 km's away.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the messagaing traffic from VK and ZL
landing, and just that.

I have had years of experience in mobile phone networks, with paging and
utilizing 1200 baud traffic.

It makes no sense to simply "re-transmit" packet traffic that already is
being heard by Brisbane traffic.

It was getting so bad, that as Peter was sending his next packet from his
car, he was getting clobbered by the VK4OG-1 packet from up north.

And that was also up against Vk4IE-3 and his half-a-day transmitt delay
that
was also interfering with mobile traffic.

Do what I do, get in your car, go to a hill and hear the collisions and
extra unnecessary traffic.

It is so bad I gave up and don't care anymore.

If that doesn't matter to you, then you should ask yourself what you are
doing in ham radio.

Andrew Rich VK4TEC
vk4tec at people.net.au
http://www.tech-software.net