[OZAPRS] Problems with APRS in SE Qld (Mark Robinson)

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 17 21:21:44 EST 2007

Mark/Tony .. I am in VK5 land .. Afar off from Brisbane .. Some input from
the locals is something I would like to see on this .. I notice you
mentioned that messaging works for you via the Igate VK4OG .. The other
day
VK5EX-3 was visiting with his D7 on the Gold Coast.. We could see him here
on the map but it proved impossible to get a APRS message to him. Likewise
he seemed to find it impossible to get one back to here which was odd
indeed..

Perhaps one of these scenarios can be explained. Looking at his path, his
posit was indeed entering the internet feed via 4OG Igate. Either direct
or
on 1 hop .. Perhaps Uiview at 4OG is set up to gate messages to RF only
for
VK4 stations.

This is simple to remedy. In the APRS server setup menu on Uiview there is
option Box called "gate local messages" .. Make sure this box is marked
and
any stations heard on RF ports will have messages sent to them on the
appropriate radio port from the Internet feed if there are any seen for
them.. This will cover messaging for visiting stations regardless of their
callsign which is something we ought to be trying to achieve as the whole
APRS network is really becoming a large national cellular structure.

When Ive driven through Brisbane in past years Ive had mixed results with
messaging from the D700 mobile.

It seems there are other issues that have been raised at times as regards
the VK4OG Igate. Some things that come from memory.
Not being able to contact the Igate operator.
Masses of  posit Traffic Gated to RF off the net which seems to compromise
local traffic including mobiles.
Configuration of a Digipeater that may exist at VK4OG..

Now shoot me if I am wrong on these points but alot of Whining has
transpired regards the state of things of the network in SE QLD of recent
times. So nows the chance to talk about it as gentelmen and get the whole
thing going right like it can be.

Operating an Igate can be a bit thankless in the amount of electricity and
internet bandwidth that is being paid for and given away to the benifit of
others. So dont bite the hand that gives. Explain the problems and offer
solutions. It can be made to work.

Tony Hunt VK5AH  APRS  Net Admin Adelaide

> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:32:58 +1000
> From: "Mark Robinson" <vk4kmr at wia.org.au>
> Subject: [OZAPRS] Problems with APRS in SE Qld
> To: <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>
>

> I am posting this message on behalf of an Amateur mate VK4HOG and we
look
> forward to receiving an answer back.
>
> Regards
>

>       _-_|\           Mark Robinson VK4KMR
>    /        +\ <------- vk4kmr at wia.org.au
>    \_.---._/                   IRLP 6037
>

> Gday
>
>                 My Name is Tony Tomlinson VK4HOG the son of VK4OG.  I am
> wondering what the problem is with my father running a APRS Digi at his
home
> and gating surrounding information to the internet as well as gating
North
> Qld data around Brisbane on RF. What I can't understand is that someone
in
> the greater Brisbane area needs to gate the information to the internet
why
> not him. Without this digi and the gateway, no messages can be sent
between
> North Qld and South East Qld via APRS. Up here something like 11 Digi's
are
> running with 2 gateways, (one a backup) within a 500Km radius from
Gladstone
> to Proserpine and West to Emerald, without problems and all SE Qld
traffic
> is also gated to RF. Maybe you should take the time to thank him and all
the
> others involved in getting this excellent service up and running rather
than
> complaining about the unapparent affect, it has on you and the
proceedings
> of your endeavors as stated in previous threads on this forum. As
mention
in