[OZAPRS] Problems with APRS in SE Qld

Shaun Pitcher spitcher at energy.com.au
Thu Oct 18 14:04:25 EST 2007

10 Sec re-close in the Sydney area.   Just enough so you have to reset all

the digital clocks in the house.  LOL  ;-)

Regards,
Shaun Pitcher
spitcher at energy.com.au

Ray Wells <vk2tv at exemail.com.au>
Sent by: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au
18/10/2007 07:31 AM
Please respond to
VK / ZL  APRS Users  <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>

VK / ZL APRS Users <ozaprs at aprs.net.au>
cc

Subject
Re: [OZAPRS] Problems with APRS in SE Qld

Dave Ingram wrote:

>Andrew Rich wrote:
>

>>And what gets me is this.
>>
>>Those owners of the offending digis have installed UI-DIGI.
>>
>>Which has a remote function. You can change the parameters remotely.
>>
>>They stick until you have a power bump.
>>

>Which is happening quite a lot these days with the storms. I don't know
what
>backup power is setup at the digis, but a UPS (even the $100 DSE ones)
might
>be a good investment.
>
>Most outages are 20 seconds when the 11kV feeder has auto-reclose. If the
>wires are on the ground, the lights stay out, but if the problem is a
>lightning strike, windborne debris or wildlife then the 20s pause is
often
>long enough for the problem to go away or fall down.

Twenty seconds before a reclose seems a long time. We ran five seconds
with lockout occuring on the third trip, but different authorities have
different thinking. We ran a nominal 11,000 volts while our adjoining
neighbour ran 10,500. That only became a problem when a tie between the
two systems was installed. When I suggested that we run 10,750 on that
section so that consumers only saw a "one-tap" increase, i.e. 6 volts
instead of 12, I was reminded of the additional I squared R losses a 250
volt reduction on the 11kv would cause. Our Chief Electrical Engineer
was frugal!

Ray vk2tv