[OZAPRS] S points and satellite signals

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Nov 29 07:01:24 EST 2007

Andrew,

How much gain will the yagi's have?
If you are receiving a plane polarised signal the gain will be that of a
single yagi and will be related to the number of elements (assuming mear
optimum element spacing). However, unlike a single yagi, a crossed pair
won't exihibit (much) polarisation loss as the antennas are rotated
about the axis of the boom.
No.   gain (dBd) (approximate)
2      3
3      5-6
4      6-7
5      8-9

If you are receiving a circularly polarised signal the gain will be that
of the two yagis. If, however, the sense (right-hand vs left-hand
circular) of your antenna is opposite to the transmitting antenna the
loss could be in the vicinity of 20dB, or more.

As for the S meter increase, that will depend on the calibration of the
meter. A true S-meter is 6dB (twice, in voltage terms) for each S point,
but amateur rigs rarely (ever?) use that calibration standard. If you
have access to a calibrated signal generator (a service monitor) you can
easily draw up a calibration chart.

Suffice it to say that you will experience a not insignificant increase
with the yagis, assuming they're working as intended, and the increase
will probably be more noticeable at smaller S-readings than at the high
end of the scale.

Ray vk2tv