[OZAPRS] aprs.net.au dns problems

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sat Nov 17 18:30:09 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

Just a quicky to let you know that aprs.net.au lookups may randomly take a
little longer than normal for the next couple of days..  The VMware server
at home died yesterday - one of the VM's on that is one of the dns servers
for aprs.net.au, so lookups against that server will time out..  Though
it's one of six or so servers, so you shouldn't hit it too often..
Unfortunately I'm currently up on the central coast, and heading to
Canberra for a couple of days work, so won't be home till tuesday (and
haven't been able to find anyone around noble park to go play with the
DL380 that's running it, to see what the error is that's stopping the
server powering up..  Little weird, being that they're a
redundant-everything server, but bleh!)

Also, iiNet completely screwed (their network engineer's phrase!) my
routing yesterday arvo, which dropped the primary DNS server for the
domain off as well, which would have caused delays as well..  (many props
to the 18yo-sounding 'network engineer' i ended up being put through to at
iinet after yelling for 30 minutes at the indian guy who answered the
phone not understanding what i was talking about..  The young guy was able
to fix the routing of my /24 in about 30 seconds!  I think I interrupted
him part-way through a WoW raid party, because I'm sure I heard WoW in the
background ;)

Cheers,

Damien

PS, I'll be contacting the folks responsible for the other DNS servers at
the start of next year, as the DNS master will be moving into the Transact
DC in canberra, and the secondary that is currently down will be moving
into Equinix in sydney..