[OZAPRS] Maxon DM-2550 and TinyTrak3

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Mon May 28 18:41:30 EST 2007

DO you have caps across your LM317

-----Original Message-----
From: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au [mailto:ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au]On
Behalf Of Michael Carey
Sent: Monday, 28 May 2007 5:55 PM
To: VK / ZL APRS Users
Subject: [OZAPRS] Maxon DM-2550 and TinyTrak3

Hi Everybody,
I'm turning a TinyTrak3, Maxon DM-2550 and a Garmin GPS-15 into a
transportable APRS tracker. So far my plan is to jam the whole lot, plus
a small gel battery into a small Pelican case.
I've made up a small LM-317 based regulator for the DM-2550, providing
the transceiver with 10V. I also planned on using the carrier detect
output from the DM-2550 to stop the TinyTrak3 from stomping on other
transmissions.
It's about here I have come across something weird... I'm powering the
TinyTrak3 from the same 10V regulated supply as the DM-2550. If I apply
power to the regulator (connected to both the DM-2550 and the TinyTrak3)
the DM-2550 goes into a non-operational state, no transmit, no receive.
I originally thought it was the fault of the DM-2550 and Garry was happy
to swap it over, but it's the same story with the replacement.
I've got a WXtrak/DM-2550 combo in a half built Peet Bros based weather
station which seems to exhibit the same problem, but _only_ after I
connected the CD line of the TinyTrak3 to the DM-2550. Without the CD
line connected, there is no problem.
If I unplug the DM-2550 and connect it up again, things are OK and will
be as long as the power supply in maintained. And here is the weird
part... if I run the combination from a 9.6V NiCd battery pack, I have
no problems. If I power the TinyTrak3 from a seperate supply (prior to
the regulator circuit for instance), it's OK as well.
Has anyone in the list seen this problem with the DM-2550 before?
Regards,
Michael.
VK5ZEA