[OZAPRS] MAPS MAPS MAPS

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Mon May 28 10:08:02 EST 2007

Hey Peter,

It's sitting on 100mbps ethernet in the US.. It's a little CPU-starved, as

it also hosts third.aprs.net.au (javaprsd TOTALLY kills a machine.. - i've

seen it pushing loads of 30, without only a handful of TCP connections -
I'm
guessing whoever wrote it doesn't understand java very well, because
there's
NO reason for a java aprsd to use any more resources than a normal
aprsd...), but that doesn't seem to affect the throughput much - You might

want to grumble to your ISP (though given their track record over the last

couple of weeks, I think they already know they have a problem ;) ), as in

AU, you should be pulling between 200-220k/sec off it (assuming your adsl
goes that fast - on 1500, you should be flatlining your DSL..) - faster if

you use a download accelerator to do multiple chunks..  Although, hows
your
outbound bandwidth? If it's getting caned by folks downloading from your
FTP, then your inbound data rate is going to suffer badly..

As to bandwidth used, it only does about 200gb/month (gotta say the
motorcycle manuals are damned popular!)

Cheers,

Damien