[OZAPRS] Understanding packet

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Fri May 4 06:43:27 EST 2007

HI Andrew

Some of these things are mentioned in the AX25 spec on the TAPR www site.

* Packet commonly uses BELL modem tones on air.
* Changing tones is used to mostly ensure bit-synchronization. Since the
data is synchronous there are no stop bits like RS232
* 0x7e/011111110 can be the start of the TX delay, but this is not
essential. According to the spec, only one 0x7e is needed at the beginning
of a packet. Some transmitters send 0x7e during TxDelay. Some do not. It
is
probably a good idea to. The start and end 0's can be shared on the 0x7e,
giving the two tones swapped at about 171 Hz.
* Bit stuffing is needed to keep up bit synchronization - without it
sending
huge number of 0x00's would mean that the Tx and Rx would get out of sync.
When there are too many bits without a transition, one is added.
* Zero-Crossing reduces transients on the signal. This improves the
bit-error rate, as opposed to the 2206/2211
* The Packet CRC is in the AX25 spec.
* You cannot fit two x 2200 Hz cycles into a 1200 bps bit. It overlaps a
bit. This is intentional, so that harmonics of 1200 do not get into the
2200
Hz decoder. I would recommend the TAPR book on Wireless Digital
Communications (http://www.tapr.org/products.php?type=PUBLICATION)

Darryl