[OZAPRS] .ecw file format

Mark Dods madods at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 28 14:08:59 EST 2007

Mark Dods wrote:
> vk3xci at aanet.com.au wrote:
>> G'day all,
>>
>> Fiddling with IrfanView here at work, converting some .eps files.
Notice
>> that it handles .ecw format. it may be possible to convert the
oziexplorer
>> maps? A question would then arise as to copyright of the original
material
>> of course.
>>
>> We would also lose a few of the advantages of the ECW format. See Here.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECW_(file_format)
>>
>> Here for IrfanView
>> http://www.irfanview.com/
>>

>> I'm QRT at the moment, moving house for the third time in 2 years, so
>> can't easily follow it up. Maybe someone else could run with it 'till I
>> get organised again?
>
> I've had a look at this previously and found that although Irfanview can
preview
> .ecw files as large as 573 MB, it has trouble opening one of even 9997
kB. A
> 5887 kB file opened OK, but scrolling it was excruciatingly slow.
>
> I was however able to use Irfanview to produce a 17 MB .jpg from the
9997 kB
> .ecw which I was able to open in Paint Shop Pro and reduce to 4.9 MB
with .jpg
> compression and still have a decent looking map.
>
> I've been meaning to try on of the half gig .ecw files. I'll give it a
go and
> let you know what happens.

OK, I was able to convert a 161 MB .ecw on a 3.0 GHz P4 with 512 MB RAM,
but not
a 400 MB .ecw, even on a 3.0 GHz P4 with 2GB RAM. Unfortunately, I don't
have a
.ecw of about 300 MB to try.

When I try to convert the 400 MB file, Irfanview immediately reports
"Error!
Can't Load <filename>".

--
Regards,