[OZAPRS] APRS With Codan radios

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 21 18:29:28 EST 2007

Hi Everybody,
The IC-F7000 is not as "easy" to use as a normal ham HF set, about the
same as using a Codan 9323 with the amateur option. Mine was purchased
with the amateur option ready to go, I also bought the dealer software
(I work for an Icom dealer, which you can tell from all the Icom radios
I have in my ute!).
The amateur option allows free transmit in the appropriate bands in the
"VFO" mode. VFO mode allows direct frequency entry and allows you to
change frequency in .1, 1, 10, 100, 1000 or 10000 KHz steps. Not quite
the same as spinning a VFO dial, but it is the best of both worlds.
DSP on receive is fantastic.
It can operate in USB, LSB, AM, AFSK, FSK (for those that like to feed
digital directly into the rig), it also does ALE on both USB and LSB,
plus it has an EMAIL mode. It has plenty of sockets for data use, it can
even be connected to an amplifier (it has an ALC input). I wish the
tuner socket was something a little more common, I made a short adapter
cable from the weird Icom plug to a D15 socket.
The dealer software allows you to open the set up even further, but that
can lead you into dangerous territory... I don't transmit where I'm not
allowed!! The dealer service menu allows you to fine tune various other
options.
As far as commercial channels, I use mine on the VKS737 HF network, plus
I used to have an outpost licence.
Regards,
Michael.
VK5ZEA
P.S. Check out some radio installation pics here :-
http://www.users.on.net/~michaelcarey/pics/hilux_albums/

Nicholas d'Apice wrote:
> Can the ICF-7000 operate LSB easily? Obviously it is capable of this,
but I
> note the ICOM website (
> http://www.icom.net.au/2000_web/products/mpt/IC-F7000.htm) says that
only
> USB is enabled for land mobile. I guess that land mobile doesn't mean
HAM