[OZAPRS] [aprssig] ICOM 706 Data Out (disc)

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Jul 21 08:24:26 EST 2007

Dick wrote:

>Just remember though. Portable operation and RF feedback go hand in hand.

>I think you should add something more than a resistor in the mic circuit

>to keep rf out.
>
>Cheers, Dick.
>VK7DIK
>
>Please Note.
>My e-mail address at home is vk7dik at dodo.com.au and work is
>dick.vanbeek at zinifex.com
>If your address book do not have these then please change it.

***********
>The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only

>and may
>contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. Any review,
>retransmission,
>disclosure dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
>reliance upon,
>this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient

>is
>prohibited and  may result in severe penalties. If you have received this

>e-mail in
>error please delete all copies of  this message and any attachments and
>contact
>the sender. If you notice it contains SPAM, abuse or other comments you
>find
>offensive please notify the sender at vk7dik at dodo.com.au with the
details.

>On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:09:16 +1000, Andrew Rich <vk4tec at people.net.au>
>wrote:
>

>>I have another question
>>
>>I would like to use the radio for field events where we track horses.
>>
>>The icom outputs 8 volts DC from the MIC ,
>>
>>I have had a look, so most computer mic ports supply 2.5 volts for the
>>electret ?
>>
>>Maybe all that is required is a resistor ?

Remember that the electret insert and the gate of the FET it feeds is
high impedance, making it more susceptable to small amounts of RF.

If you absolutely don't have to use the electret, from an RF feedback
perspective, you would be better off with a low impedance (<600ohms)
dynamic microphone.

Manufacturers of commercial SSB radios (Codan, etc) use a balanced input
for the microphone, which aids in reducing any induced noises.

Ray vk2tv