[OZAPRS] SOT : Lead Acid battery reconditioning

Darryl Smith Darryl at Radio-active.net.au
Fri Jan 19 23:02:16 EST 2007

There are two ways to test a UPS... In a past life myself I placed a dummy
load on the UPS batteries at work, and found that after an hour the
voltage
on the UPS batteries had barely dropped at all... We were using a serious
dummy load though... 250 kW.

As for batteries, Wet Cells are close to what you want in terms of
reliability. They will last commonly 25 years, although individual cells
may
fail during that time and need replacing. LaPlante cells are also good for
UPS. In general, in terms of chemistry, Lead Acid are far better in a
situation when the batteries never get discharged. Nicads (including wet
nicads) need a hard life.

We commonly had 50 kW motors running from batteries as well as UPS type
loads... And they needed to be constantly charged.

One of these days I will scan the photos of the battery room from the
Power
Station... Scary. I used to have 200 tons of batteries there...

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 Int] - 02 9618 6459
www.radio-active.net.au/blog/ - www.radio-active.net.au/web/tracking/