[OZAPRS] PCSAT alive and well

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 6 01:13:46 EST 2007

> What about a digi that splits frequencies ?
> Say listens to 145.825 MHz for SGATE, but swaps and TX on
> 145.175 MHz, then falls back to 145.825 MHz ready to RX again.

Yes, but when that packet arrives at FINDU which is looking for
PCSAT-1* it wont find it and so that packet will not be
accumulated on the PCSAT-1 web page.

And it is just such an arrangement in a forgotten radio, that
could accidentally be set to simplex instead of split operation
and end up Txing back on the uplink.  All it takes is one radio
on the whole continent to do this and that doubles the QRM on
the uplink.

I am not saying "don't do it", but in general, I don't see the
value added compared to the risk added.
But then if it helps show people satellite activity, and is
carefully set up, then it is a possibility, but then the pakets
only go LOCALLY.  This then suggests that dozens of digis should
be set up to do it, to cover any reasonable area, but then this
multiplies the risk that one of them will be set up wrong and
ruin it for everyone...

And 2 radios wont help because even if one is listening on
145.825 and the other Txing on 145.175, it will still block the
other receiver during the packet digipeat.

Bob

<mailto:vk4tec at tech-software.net>
> web: http://www.tech-software.net
> Brisbane AUSTRALIA

passes
> of
> > the day.  On an oerhead pass, the satellites are 6 to 10 dB
> > closer.  Hence, a whip will do nicely.  But the satellites
are
> > only "overhead" like 10% of the total times they are in
view.