[OZAPRS] Analysis of VK1 APRS traffic.

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Thu Feb 15 22:23:42 EST 2007

Hi Chris,

On 15/02/2007, at 10:10 PM, Chris Hill wrote:

> Did "Bytes" mean bytes of payload after extraction from AX.25
> frames, or was
> it total octets recovered off-air (including AX.25 headers, etc)?
>
> (Of course, the AX.25 overhead varies depending on path length, etc).

It's payload+header.  I fudged it actually since I'm not processing
kiss frames, but using the "tncport" socket on my javaaprs server
which passes decoded frames from the TNC.  I drop the timestamp and
count all the text from then on.  It's not exact but it's "close
enough". :)

I did a scatterplot in Excel as well and it confirmed just how
constant the traffic is.  I didn't think we were loading the local
channel that much, but I guess I have to revise my opinion!

Carl.