[OZAPRS] APRS on 30 metres HF (Robert Bruninga)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 9 12:38:25 EST 2007

> > 5) Packets originated as GATE,WIDE2-1 arrive as
GATE,DIGI,WIDE2*
> > and this implies that the originator took two hops on VHF in
> > violation of the receommendations.
>
> Two hops would look like GATE,DIGI,DIGI,WIDE2*?
> One hops would look like GATE,DIGI,WIDE2* or
>                           GATE,DIGI,WIDE1*

In an ideal world, but all it takes is one old WIDEn-N that does
not have the ID parameter set correctly and then one of the
digi's does not insert its callsign. Hence we see things like
DIGI1,WIDE3* all the time because 2 of the digi's did not ID.
And we have been fussing about fixing the ID parameter iin those
WIDEn-N digipeaters sinec 1999 and still see little progress.
Hence, one is never certain of what DIGI,WIDE2* means.  Was it 2
hops or one?  Impossible to tell in the real network.  Hence my
concern...

> What weight do you give problem 5?  If we can reduce
> its weight through proper user education the scales
> might tip the other way?

Yep, but since I have been fighting the ID problem for 8  years
with no progress, that is why I have given up on it and have the
concern of #5.  But then your area migh thave digi owners that
actually are on APRS and are responsive..

Thanks.  It is not an easy answer.
Bob

> >> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 01:29:55 +1100, Robert Bruninga
> >> <bruninga at usna.edu>

> > networks

> > would be
> > by a