[OZAPRS] Xastir and .ecw maps.

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Wed Feb 14 21:46:17 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 21:12 +1100, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 23:13 +1100, Norm VK3XCI wrote:
> > OK, Xastir on Ubuntu 6.xx
> > I have some maps in .ecw format, which is highly compressed and will
> > page from file instead of loading into memory. Does Xastir handle this

> > format or am I goint to have to convert them?
>
> Hey Norm, just wondering if you ever sorted this one out? I've got the
> landsat 7 mosaic of aust as a 2.5GByte ecw which I'd love to load in :)

Well answering my own question, looks as though you can't..  So I'm
currently waiting for ER Mapper to convert south east aus into a 15GB
geotiff which xastir CAN load in.. :)  Then time to fire up esri, import
mapinfo's streetworks, and save it out as shapefiles, and i've got a
nice start to xastir ;)

Although if anyone DOES know a way of using ecw's without expanding them
out, I'd love to hear it.. :)

Cheers,

DG