[OZAPRS] vk1nfi - vk2mpj Fill-in Digi question]

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Mon Dec 24 13:07:38 EST 2007

Ian.. Before doing anything radical like what I am about to suggest I

would talk to the local sysop and Igate operator if you are thinking
about taking up an Igate.

 From what I can see you have a few alternatives.. The decision is yours
to consider.. I will talk in generalities because I dont know your exact
situation and network configuration.. Ive attached in the Pmail to you a
document we put together last year here in regards to the New Paradigm
and in there are some thoughts on 3 hop digi system particularly in
regards Uidigis..

1:
If you start a Igate at your home location and Gate the local posits to
the Net its probably the best and most relaible way to go because your
not relying on on 3 network digi hops which becomes inheritly less
reliable. If you have bandwidth restrictions on the Net then use port
14580 with a valid login and No filters set. This will let you gate to
the server feed off RF but consume almost no download bandwidth as you
will see no posits and traffic comming back from the server. You could
also set up a radius filter for your general area and just gate limited
traffic to RF but talk to other sysops etc about how and whys on this.
Using Uiview as an Igate configured correctly will also have the
potential to get messaging working in and out of  your area..

2: By the looks of it you need one extra hop in the digi path to get to
the present Igate. It would be nice if the path could be modified from
your end to pick out the WIDE1-1 frames and extend these. Ive found no
way of getting Uiview to do this.

Uidigi can do this using Preemptive features. uSmartDigi can do this
also I suspect. These last 2 are hardware solutions. Some software
solutions exist AGWs Uidigi might have Preemptive digipeating available
but I have not messed with this in a long time and hesitate to recomend
it. I do however recomend DigiNed for windows. This is workable under
Windows with AGW or BPQ32 using the AGWtoBPQ emulation. You can run
uiview with the Digi disabled and use Digi_Ned for Windows as the
Digipeater which will make it very configurable. Digi_ned is probably
the next best solution with minimal outlay if you dont want to go with
the Igate idea. If you want some help configuring Digi_Ned I could help.
If you want to set up a Uidigi a Eprom could also be organised as well
to make a special fill in digi in your area.

3: Look at the Doc file I sent you. In there are some cheats that can be
used to extend the last hop on the frame. This is done on the last digi
on a network that could but does not repeat the frame. From your
perspective thats the digi that is currently the one next to the Igate
that fails to digi the frame because it sees a WIDE2 and ignores it..
Unfortunately doing this mod has the potential to increase traffic in
the imediate area quite alot depending on the network situation. You
would have to get the Digi sysop to approve this and run with it.. It
has certain issues that are not acceptable and should be used with
caution. Its a good cheat perhaps in a closed network with low traffic
levels when the digis are all spread apart and you are trying to leap
tall hills and vast distances when your RF network resources are limited
and you want to stick to using the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 path.

--

Tony Hunt VK5AH

Tony & Eva Hunt   wavetel at internode.on.net