[OZAPRS] the lost art of building it ourselves

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Mon Aug 6 11:08:02 EST 2007

I guess there's a lot less experimental building going on than there
used to be, but personally, for my 4wd/bike, I can't use a homebuilt
gadget..  If I ring the NRMA and say 'oh, btw, I've just added another
accessory', I need to be able to give them manufacturer, model, serial
number, and the cost to replace..  They get kinda picky when you go
'well I built it myself, but there's about 20 hours and $200 worth of
parts..'  It's hard enough explaining that a 'CB' (seriously, they don't
have 'ham radio equipment' in their list, all transceivers are
apparently CB's) is worth $1500, let alone trying to find a category for
home-built radio gear..

At home in the garage is a different story.. - If the garage gets
knocked over, the gadget would be covered as stock on hand under my
business insurance.

Cheers,

Damien

VK2DGJ/VK2TDG