[OZAPRS] HF modulation techniques, now hardware etc discussion.

Jack Chomley radio at dodo.com.au
Mon Apr 16 06:52:29 EST 2007

My use for the SCS DSP Tracker is not in a shack environment, its on a
motorcycle and as such means it does not have a PC on it, when being used.

I am using it standalone, the idea was to use a simple terminal program to

connect to it and use it for Packet and APRS. However due to no
PMS/mailbox, or it being able to store a "heard" list of stations means
that its use is limited to being a simple tracker when standalone.  There
appears to be no APRS digipeat function as a standalone feature with V1
firmware, either.
I am going to have a shot at getting my Toshiba E800 PDA to talk to it, to

at least be able to reconfigure APRS, while on the road, as taking a full
blown laptop is not an option.
I agree that hardware-wise its an awesome unit, but is limited for field
use by its firmware. Its physical size lends it to use for portable/field
operation.
I had tried my SCS PTC-IIex for the purpose, as it has a mailbox of sorts,

but everytime I switch it off.....it defaults to Pactor on startup, this
means a PC is needed to set it back to Packet/APRS mode. The Pactor
command
set does have a "lock" feature for that mode, however Packet/APRS does not

have that option.It cannot be changed to a default start on Packet/APRS.
The PTC-IIex also has no Packet BEACON command either.......to let people
know that its  "on air" for mailbox access.
Again, it seems to have no "heard" list of stations stored, only ones that

have connected? Also, I can use many of the older terminal programs to
drive the unit as my IIex is the RS232 version, Paket V6 even runs PSK31
nicely :-)
You have to read the 205 page PTC-IIex manual carefully :-) Again, a great

piece of hardware just needing some small additions to the firmware, when
being used for Packet/APRS. I guess its ditto for the SCS PTC-IIPro I have

also.
On Paxon? Mike, yes it makes it hard when all the help files are in
German,
I would have thought over time that this would have been also done in an
English version. I had the same problems with Alpha 3, which I also wanted

to register and use, but I was not prepared to do that as again, no
Engilsh
help files, only German. I believe its up to the software vendors to
provide the right language help files for their software, however I
appreciate your offer for the Paxon translation.
73s
Jack VK4JRC