[OZAPRS] Small mobile TNC

Radio radio at dodo.com.au
Fri Apr 13 06:59:52 EST 2007

Part of the problem lies with hardware vendors. In my case I run HF APRS
on
a motorcycle, which means that my only potential for two way comms is,
that
my TNC must have a PMS/Mailbox etc. I sure can't ride with a laptop
running
UIVIEW or something.
Yes, I have a Jornada 720/Psion/Toshiba PDAs etc that run simple comms
programs that can talk to a TNC etc, but thats no good unless the TNC has
PMS. The SCS DSP Tracker I use is a TNC, but has no PMS in it, despite
being
advertised as having commands modeled on the old TNC2  type hardware. My
SCS
PTC-IIex and PTCIIPro both have a PMS or sorts, but its a kludgy iteration
that is horrible to use as both the PTCs are designed for
Pactor....Packet/APRS are just a poor addition to the PTCII units. You
can't
even make them power up in Packet or APRS mode. You need to use a PC each
time you turn the PTC on, to enter Packet mode.
Whilst the SCS hardware is very good......its firmware is horrible
functionality wise, for Packet/APRS.
I contacted SCS about making some firmware changes and even offered to pay
them! They said they were too busy :-( So much for them advertising
firmware
customising services.
So........we need some decent standalone TNC hardware with PMS/Mailbox
facilities, along the lines of the old PK232MBX/KAM Plus etc, made in a
compact size with the latest DSP technology and some added APRS features.
73s
Jack VK4JRC

At 08:22 AM 4/12/2007 -0400, Bob wrote:

> How come you want to run a TNC mobile ?
> Why not just use a tinytrack or opentracker ?

Because the essence of ham radio is two-way communications.

Because the essence of APRS is situational awareness.  Having a channel
that
is the be-all-end-all of information on all ham radio activities going on
in
the immediate area.

Trackers are great assets at public service events where the hams need to
track all kinds of vehicles that often do not have a HAM on board.  These
devices are able to be quickly installed at the start of the event and
collected afterwords.

But it makes little sense in a ham radio network concept to have active
ham
radio operators driving around transmitting only without listening,
without
reciving any local info, without any ability to receive messages or be
called in case needed, basically without participating in the network he
is
using.

APRS is about receiving, displaing and exchanging tactical real-time
useful
information amongst a network of active ham radio operators that are doing
something on ham radio.  Of ccourse it is nice to have something to
receive,
so someone has to transmit too.  So nothing wrong with trackers, but hams
should be encouraged to install two-way communications where possible so
that they are a useful asset to the network, instead of jsut a noise
source
with no means of being contacted.

Just my 2 cents.
WB4APR, Bob