[OZAPRS] HF Configuration.

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Apr 13 23:01:38 EST 2007

>           I think some of you guys missed the point I was
> trying to make. My point was the parameters used should be
> such to ensure maximum possibility of the mobile station
> being heard by an IGate.

Ah, but it is the "tradegy of the commons".  Please see:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

Clearly the settings for the maximum probabiliy of success is to
transmit every second 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  But this
has to be weighed against every one else's simmilar desire for
good performance...

> For sure there has to be a limit but
> if an IGATE can beacon every few minutes I believe the HF
> mobile station should be able to do the same else, why have
> HF IGates ?

So it is the golden rule.  TX rates have to be balanced against
everyone else's desire for the channel.  In that sense, the
FEWER transmissions the better chance of avoiding collisions.
So the entire community has to arrive at the right balance.

If one wants a good success rate, then probably the channel
should be quiet 90% of the time.  So decide amongst all the
things heard and desired on frequency, as to how often who can
transmit so that the channel remains clear most of the time...

Good luck.
Bob
WB4APR