[OZAPRS] VK3 APRS News

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Sep 13 19:52:08 EST 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Andrew McDade wrote:

> We recently ran a Wicen exercise here in Adelaide on 145.200. We used
Aprs
> messaging to handle scoring traffic for the Toyota Rally of SA on
145.200
> and didn't that cause a stink. Unbeknown to us , this frequency happened
> be the " private " call channel for our WIA broadcast officer here in
> Adelaide, and he informed us (Wicen) in no uncertain terms, and very
> colorfully I might add ! .. That he'd been using this frequency since
1975 ,
> and how dare Wicen or the WIA band plan interfere with his " private "
call
> channel use .. !!! ..  I guess the bleating sound of packet every few
> seconds on one ones own " personal " channel could become a little
> disconcerting !!

Heh heh...  I must relate the story of the VK2RWI (now VK2WI) BBS.

It originally appeared on 147.600, but as every man and his TNC were
there it moved to 144.850, in the process interrupting some private
net or other.  Said denizens tried to jam it, but of course it had
infinite patience...  Undeterred, they moved to 145.650, until VK2RCW
appeared :-)

I think they were last heard operating FM in the satellite band...

-- Dave