[OZAPRS] European v US new paradigm and path limiting

David and Ann Fraser zl3ai at nzart.org.nz
Mon Oct 30 15:03:28 EST 2006

Hi Ben and others,

> Its a pity that we have to change things that really are not broken,
just
> because a few people cant get it right or wont listen.

> This might seem a strange question, but why do we have to change? The US
and
> EU have a far larger population of Hams than we will ever dream of in
our
> life time.

> Ben Lindner
> VK5JFK

Actually, I believe that your second paragraph answer your first
paragraph. A very big reason that I see for us to change is that almost
all APRS software, hardware and websites originate in either the US or
Europe, and they will all be saying "Use these settings". Anyone setting
up equipment for the first time is going to be really confused, we've
seen it here in New Zealand recently.

The new paradigm also enables the popular KPC3+ TNCs to be 100%
successful as APRS digipeaters instead of suffering from lack of
duplicate suppression when either plain RELAY or WIDE are used.

Locally, we have some home stations using RELAY as their first digi hop
setting because (I think) paths seem to be such a confusing issue for
many users. A standard WIDE1-1,WIDEn-N for trackers and WIDEn-N for home
stations would be so simple, and the tracing of paths will help network
analysis and monitoring.

73 David ZL3AI.

Ann's website http://www.freewebs.com/annlfraser
David's website http://www.geocities.com/zl3ai