[OZAPRS] New paridigam thinggy

Tony Hunt wavetel at bigpond.com
Sat Oct 28 21:29:14 EST 2006

Well so far Ive been pretty quiet on this one... Theres been alot of
discussion on it on both groups..  There was some discussion raised
originally by Richard probably 12 months ago or more.. I settled on a few
things with him there and proceeded down that track with the future in
mind.. We discussed the EU and US paridigms ..

It appears we are about to jump to a decicion and wrap the whole thing up
on
behalf of all of VK now..

Hmm.. Interesting..  So whats my thoughts ?? And who am I anyway ??

Put it simply I am with Richard basically.. Some of the discussion way
back
was in regard to the VK3 network change over when I threw my hands in the
air and waffled and paniced about all the interference we would get here
in
VK5.. Ive looked at Richards recent UiDigi configs and it makes best sense
to me.

I am in favor of using the approach of
Maintaining some backward compatibility with RELAY and WIDE
Trapping the large paths which will be our real problem. WIDE3-3   4-4
5-5
6-6  7-7 etc
Working toward a system where its 2 hops or less to an Igate
Phasing out Home RELAYs if and wherever possible if they are not allready.
Introducing a regional/state based path system
Making sure Igates use Fixed paths instead of Flood paths .

>From my perspective I rarely see any crazy paths like RELAY,WIDE4-4 or
worse
on the VK5 network.
So actually getting operators to change their paths and conform isnt
generally an issue.
I have at times in the past been a real pain in the amount of times I go
on
and on about it but it may have actually gotten through it seems.

When we first started using APRS in VK5 we used WIDE5-5 and then changed
WIDE4-4 and WIDE3-3 and now  use WIDE2-2 everywhere. The transition was
gradual but its there.

I must say that Ive found all operators to be very cooperative in getting
it
right even though
some need a bit of help in understanding things. There are some odd bods
on
HF paths which continue to amaze me but generally they are not running
destructive paths just useless ones.
We dont have a zillion operators to reeducate like the US and thats
probably
been the 10th time thats been said..

What really gets me with this is. For the last 2-3 years as a sysop Ive
been
working at getting ready for this kind of Network shrinkdown and VK3
changover and reeducating operators to use WIDE2-2 paths.
At times Ive felt like a real policman sending out emails to operators.

So now we are ready your telling me that WIDE2-2 isnt right !!
I am kinda loosing interest for some reason..

Without bragging I would probably know what I am talking about as I am a
strange bloke who actually sits and watches packet frames to see whats
going
to air and by whom.
This comes from spending time fiddling and configuring Network Digis at
all
hours..

Tony Hunt VK5AH