[OZAPRS] Antennas on bikes?

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Thu Oct 26 21:10:53 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 19:01 +1000, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
> Howdy Folks,
>
> Little unusual question, but I seem to remember at the APRS symposium a
few years ago (that was a while ago now come to think of it..), someone
was there on a bike with a ham rig installed..

> I'm just in the process of fitting up the intercom on the bike, and
wiring in the ipod, phone, navman, UHF cb, etc.. And am also setting up my
D7 with an etrex attached for APRS..  I'm wondering, if anyone has fitted
up antennas to their bike, where do you find the best place? I can't
decide whether it's best to do up mounts coming off the mirror mounts,
mount them off the side crash bars, or run a mounting bar to put the
antennas either side of the top box at the back..

Damien, On my 1000GTR, I'm planning to have a bar that mounts under the
top box...it will extend out over but not go out side the panniers.
Currently I just clamp a mirror mount to the pillion grab handles.
Be careful of where you run the coax, it was very close to the CDI unit.
I had an issue with the motor cutting out, when the D700 txed. I
suspected a faulty bit of coax. It replaced and rerouted, and all is
well.
I use a Diamond SG7900 dual band antenna..just remember to loctite all
the grub screws. Saves bits falling off. Is good for 160kph...tested at
Broadford Road Race Circuit last January.
Regards,
Ron