[OZAPRS] European v US new paradigm

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Mon Oct 23 18:48:02 EST 2006

Gday Mike,

The main difference is the use of RELAY.
In the EU version RELAY is retained in the US version RELAY is replaced by
WIDE1-1. This is all to do with the type of TNC's in use in the US,
basically the US use mainly Kantronics TNC's that so not support duplicate
packet suppression when using RELAY. In Europe and Australia most of the
TNC's do support duplicate packet suppression with RELAY.

I'm not sure what is happening in VK2. However in VK3 all digis will
accept
only paths set to the following;

RELAY,WIDE
RELAY,WIDE2-2
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2
Specific path settings.

Using the EU version of the new paradigm will mean that 90% of stations
will
not have to do anything to their Tracker and Home station settings. This
will save a lot of confusion for Operators.

Other paths will only be digipeated one digi hop.

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK