[OZAPRS] Software Defined Radios

Darryl Smith Darryl at Radio-active.net.au
Tue Oct 3 08:25:40 EST 2006

Funny you should mention this. I was having dinner with a few people
working
on this a few weeks back.

Firstly for a huge ADC with tons of bandwidth for sampling (up to 35
Mbytes/Sec... I can never remember) you cannot go past the USRP from Ettus
Research. They have TAPR and AMSAT discounts. And had radio transmitter
and
receiver add-ons. Also, they have a GNU-Radio interface. Funny about that.
Matt Ettus writes GNU-Radio

Then there is the HPSDR... The High Performance Software Defined Radio.
This
is a huge open hardware license project who have an aim of creating as
many
cool components as possible. There is a VK6 working on this project
amongst
hams from the USA and many other countries. Over 400 backplanes have been
sold already for this, and we (TAPR) are looking at doing a 400 lot beta
run
of the first two main boards. www.hpsdr.org has all the information. Just
think the type of radio that a three letter organization might want to buy
and you have the HPSDR.

The only thing is that the HPSDR is not a product. It is components of
such
a product.

Janus is a A/D and D/A module and Janus is an FPGA controller card with
USB
2.0 (35 Mbytes/sec)

Future boards are / might be
	Mercury - Samples 0-65 MHz
	Sasquatch - DSP Backend
	Gibraltar - a ROCK SOLID GPS locked master oscillator
	Horton - Janus with a Quadrature Summing Decoder - basically a
board
with big ears. If you do not understand the name ask your 6 year old who
Horton is
	Pinocchio - Card Extender Board
	Casmir - Transmitting Module

There are moves I believe to put much of this technology on Amsat
satellites
too... I have heard some of the plans for one of the new Amsat satellites
and what is proposed is really amazing. With digital down links and cheap
multiplexed uplinks it is possible to create a multiple channel repeater
in
the air, with people receiving all downlink channels at once

And you should all look at TeamSpeak on the same site which is a type of
VoIP/IRLP on steroids. During the DCC in Tucson we had a world wide
teleconference using it with the HPSDR people and it was amazing.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 Int] - 02 9618 6459
www.radio-active.net.au/blog/ - www.radio-active.net.au/web/tracking/