[OZAPRS] More QRM

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Tue Nov 14 09:53:37 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 13:20 +1100, Dion Bramich wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:15:41 +1100, Richard Hoskin <vk3jfk at amsat.org>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi Dion,
> >
> > If VK3VHF was using a different path and you didn't see the extra
traffic
> > you wouldn't have know what the problems was and it would have been a

> > good
> > example of the hidden transmitter syndrome.
> >
> > Beacon Rates and RF traffic levels will have a BIG impact on hidden
> > transmitters and free air time, even with Zones. That is why it is so
> > important to limit your beacon rates to;
> >
> > Mobile Beacon rate set to 2 minutes
> > Weather station Beacon rate set to 15 minutes
> > All other Beacon rates set to 30 minutes.
> >
> > The impact of VK3 changing frequency on all Australia will be less
free
> > air
> > time. This was discussed about 2 years ago here and it was decided
that
> > the
> > advantages of the frequency change were greater than the disadvantages

> > and
> > that the impact could be minimised if shorter paths and sensible
beacon
> > rates were used. The new-paradigm assists with the paths, every
operator
> > has
> > to assist and be responsible with their beacon rates.
> >
> > I still see your mobile beacon rate is set very high
> > (Data extracted from findu.com)
> >

> Thats the way its going to stay, our system copes happily with it,
> watching stations enjoy it.  Why dont you go use someone else as an
> example, I'm not the only one doing it.  I know perfectly well how to
> configure a TT3, but I wont be using your inferior guidelines to do so.

> Funny you need to take it from the server, it obviously doesnt worry
your
> network anyway.  I'm sure there are more productive ways you can spend
> your time.

Dion,
You aren't making many friends with your attitude.
Your refusal to modify your beacon rate and the reasons why, and
repeated complaints of QRM seem strange to me.

How many more users of the VK7 network do you think could use your
beacon rate and still get reliable coverage?  One? Two? Ten? IMHO A high
beacon rate with with more than ONE user just doesn't work. I'd like a
technical explanation from you to show me how it would please?

You state our inferior guidelines? Can you explain why you think that?
We are coming to an general agreement, of path guidelines for any *new*
user in VK, that will work, with no ifs or buts,"straight out of the
box".  The reason is so that new users have consistant guidelines
throughout all of VK.
I think that we have all agreed that some Zoning will take place on a
local level to limit, but this only needs to take place after the new
user is on air, in that region.
So please, unless you don't think you live in Australia, take a look at
the *big* picture, and not just your backyard.

Ron
vk3ecv