[OZAPRS] VK3 Draft Guide for APRS Parameters

Ron Perry ronk at sunlinux.com.au
Fri Nov 10 22:38:08 EST 2006

Hi all,
I do accept that what Richard is proposing for VK3 would work for VK3,
however I do believe that it would be much more sensible that the
recommended National Mobile Path should be:
APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

This would work for all users even in VK3, and would be modified by
education later if needed.
Home stations: APRS v WIDE3-3

IMHO we need recommend one path that fits all, that will work out of the
box.

If it isn't those above...then what should it be?

Regards,
Ron

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 10:26 +1100, Richard Hoskin wrote:
> Gday,
>
> In responce to Chris's email below this is what we propose for VK3.
>
> In VK3 the paths will stay as is until the frequency change project is
> completed then we may go along these lines;
>
> 1) Mobiles set path to APRS v WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
>
> 2) Home stations set path to APRS v 'Closest Digi',WIDE2-1
>
> 3) Home stations are NOT to configure their systems to be Fill-in
WIDE1-1
> Digipeaters (old Relay only digis ) unless detailed RF co-channel
> interference analysis is first completed and the Fill-in WIDE1-1 digi
> installation is appropriately co-ordinated and configured.
>
> 4) Mobile Beacon rate set to 2 minutes
>
> 5) Weather station Beacon rate set to 15 minutes
>
> 6) All other Beacon rates set to 30 minutes.
>
> 7) Agree that the ZONEn-n be left up to the region to decide. In our
case we
> would keep the current system and not use the other implementation of
> ZONEn-n. We would keep ZONEn-n in reserve.
>
> Notes;
> Our network already supports WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 as
> a non-traceable path.
>
> The idea to limit the number of digi hops in an area depends on the
local area and it's network configuration. In VK3 we have a good network
with well estabilshed IGates so 2 hops works well. In other areas such as
VK7 or VK4 this may not be the case and they may need 3 or  4 hops.