[OZAPRS] VK3 IGate / Zone system.

Dion Bramich vk7ybi at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 7 23:18:52 EST 2006

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 23:07:56 +1100, Ron Perry <ronk at sunlinux.com.au>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 22:09 +1100, Dion Bramich wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 21:54:25 +1100, Ron Perry <ronk at sunlinux.com.au>
>> wrote:

>> The
>> APRS
>> >>

>> > How it happens now. Please note that VK3WRM is and has always been
>> apart
>> > of the 145.175MHz APRS network...we just have to remember to change
>> > frequencies when travelling south. :-/
>> > Being a local, you would have your posits broadcast locally, via the
>> > Igate,  VK3WRM. A Melbourne Igate would hear your posit directly or
>> > indirectly. As there has been no demand, we currently don't broadcast
>> > the whole state of Vic's traffic,  but I have in the past on request.
>> >
>> > If you used MILDn-n in Melbourne unless seen direct by an Igate, then
>> > they would be ignored. (I suspect)
>> > Would all the Igates broadcast it?
>> >
>> > The change in the Vic Frequency would not change the operation.
>> >
>> > Zonen-n packets I can see being used only by Igates and should be
used
>> > to limit the broadcast of Internet sourced data. I don't think there

>> is
>> > a need for home stations to adopt Zonen-n, unless they were being
>> heard
>> > by 2 RX Igates, and wanted a choice.
>> >
>> > Your thoughts?
>> >

>> My thoughts, youve seen the light!  How is there another way you can
>> prevent I-Gate traffic from arriving here, NSW or VK5?  Simple path
>> limiting doesnt account for propagation, there is a path from Mt Barrow

>> many well sited digis in Victoria more often than not.  ZONE-ing doesnt
>> have to be limited to I-Gates though, I will be using a ZONEd path
>> here, I
>> simply dont wish to be seen in Victoria via RF only.  One less packet
of
>> mine that traverses that path makes room for one more mobile or
message.

> You didn't state Igate traffic only so I assumed all users. (Unless I
> skimmed some posts)
> However we can (and do locally) limit by using a direct path for
> traffic.

Direct path limiting is confusing.  ZONEn-N limiting is easier to use,
simple names that actually mean something to humans.  Analogous to the
IP/DNS system.  Why were URLs developed? Because theyre easy to remember.

You just type where you want to go and you go there.  Same with ZONEing,
you just need to know where you want to go, put that in the path and youre

there.  No learning and remembering confusing static paths.  Well, I just

thought of another good reason to use ZONEing, its dynamic.  If another
digi were added in the system it would be made functional as part of that

ZONE simply by configuring it to be, instantly all ZONEd users would be
using it, no need to reconfigure static paths.  Its the reason network
admins use DHCP statically, so easy to use and administer.

> And by the way, while I was on Mt Hotham on Sunday I did see a VK7
> packet..but I'll have to check the D700 on my bike for more info.  :-)

It could have come from anywhere, some stations are using WIDEn-N paths
still.

Dion.

> Ron
>

>> Dion.