[OZAPRS] NEW Digi settings as currently used in VK6 (forpeerreview)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Nov 6 03:39:25 EST 2006

> Here is the way I've configured some of the key settings...
> BLT 1 EVERY 00:09:42
> BLT 2 EVERY 00:29:00
> BLT 3 EVERY 01:00:00
> BLT 4 EVERY 01:00:10

That way will have the 9:42 minute one waltzing throughout the
hour and stacking up with the others.  There is a better way for
consistent performance...

The idea is to have a local (direct) beacon from every digi,
every 10 minutes.  This gives the APRS network consistancy that
locals can expect no matter where they are.  Since these are
direct, they are reallly insignificant to the loading on the
netwrok.  Then to have one every 30 minutes go 1 hop to
surrounding digis and then every hour to go 2 hops etc...  Here
is what we have come up with:
 BLT 1  EVERY 00:30:00 START 00:00:00
 BLT 2  EVERY 00:30:00 START 00:10:00
 BLT 3  EVERY 01:00:00 START 00:20:00
 BLT 4  EVERY 01:00:00 START 00:50:00
 LTP 1  APN382
 LTP 2  APN382
 LTP 3  APN382 VIA WIDE2-1 <== One hop, but does not bring up
WIDE1-1's
 LTP 4  APN382 VIA WIDE2-2 <== equivalent to a user path of
WIDE3-3>

By using the START parameter, they are automaticlly offset every
10 minutes, and there are no dupes, nor do they eventually stack
up on the hour or half hour.

> BTEXT    Testing in Lesmurdie

Btexts should be APRS format so they can be seen by mobiles..
Use either the >.... Status format or :BLN1.....:Bulletin....
Format or !position format if it is identifiying another asset
at another location, such as a VOICE repeater or net, etc...
> LT 1 !3200.4 SN11602.3 E#PHG5650/WIDE Mazenod College
> LT 2 !3200.4 SN11602.3 E#PHG5650/WIDE Mazenod College,
Lesmurdie
> LT 3
> LT 4

All four Ltexts must be identical since they are all involved in
the variable path POSIT ID system.  If they differe by even one
byte, then that appears as a "changed posit" to many APRS
software's which will then log the change to the LOG file,
consuming lots of LOG space not otherwise intended.

> # As per http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/kpc3+WIDEn.txt
> LTP 1 APN382 VIA WIDE1-1
> LTP 2 APN382 VIA WIDE2-2
> LTP 3 APN382 VIA WIDE3-3
> LTP 4 APN382 VIA WIDE4-4

See above.  These need to be less aggressive to match the
desired 10 minute local, 30 minute 1 hop and 60 minute 2 hop
plan.  In your area, it may be plenty sparse enough that you
might want to increase that a bit to:

 LTP 1 APN382
 LTP 2 APN382 VIA WIDE2-1
 LTP 3 APN382 VIA WIDE2-2
 LTP 4 APN382 VIA WIDE4-4

Which would still be local ID every 10 minutes, 1 hop 3 times
per hour and 2 hops twice per hour and 4 hops once per hour.
This might be useful in areas that allow WIDE3-3 or more for
users.

> # Maybe 300ms is a bit slow, but at least we are pretty safe
> that remote mute will be open!
> TXDELAY  30 (300 msec)

Actually, most rigs will RECEIVE with very short TXD's.  It is
really mostly a matter of that particular digi's transmitter.
If it can go faster, then shorten the TXD.  Assume most distant
receivers will still hear it.  I'd try TXD 20 and see what
happens.

> # Standard beacon goes out via one digi hop
> UNPROTO  APN382 VIA WIDE1-1

Make that WIDE2-1 so it only goes one hop and does not bring up
local WIDE1-1.s,  Though in some areas, you may want the WIDE1-1
to digipeat it..  It depends..

> UIDIGI   ON WIDE1-1,WIDE5-5,WIDE6-6,WIDE7-7

Yes, unless  you really are going to encourage the use of
SS1-1,SSn-N then SS1-1 needs to be in the UIDIGI list of the 8.2
ROMS or it will die on the first hop.

Just some feedback
Bob, Wb4APR