[OZAPRS] APRS coverage in WA- 4WD Outback?

Brian Beamish bbeamish at bigpond.net.au
Sun May 28 20:11:12 EST 2006

Hi

>From experience as I only operate on HF APRS both mobile and fixed
station
Mike may well be surprised as to what coverage he will have operating on
HF
APRS as long as 30m is open, it generally is, he will have reasonable
coverage from VK5/8 eastwards with gateways like VK4DMI and others gating
him much of the time. I am sure that any ZL 30m gateways will also come on
line during the period he is here as I personally have found myself being
gated by the ZLs when they are operational on 30m.

I have not yet personally seen any HF APRS operation mobile or fixed in
VK6
so cannot comment on the coverage from that area.

I would though suggest due to the very limited, at present, HF APRS
traffic
about that Mike, whilst on HF set his beacon rate to every five minutes
when
mobile and not ten as was suggested. I would also recommend the path
Gate,Wide2-2 when on HF.

Mike enjoy your trip it sure sounds great.

Regards
Brian VK4BBS
Brisbane