[OZAPRS] Reduced Service, 30m and ISS.

Noel Rowe noel-r at clear.net.nz
Fri Jul 28 07:57:39 EST 2006

Greetings all,

My antenna system is overdue for maintainance, which should be started
today when  help arrives to drop my pole.  Its a fibreglass one, and just
7m long, so isnt too heavy, but there is not much manouvering space down
the side of the section (VKs read block) between the house and the side
fence.  And these things are best done while the wife is out at her
workplace!

The dipole needs a cleanup, and the fittings at the top are rusting
through.  Its been up and untouched at the top for about 12 years. While
things are down I intend to fit the pole up to enable me to hoist a second
dipole (or anything else) instead of reliance on the less-than-optimum
trapped 80/40 dipole for use on 30m.

The VHF antenna I use mostly for picking APRS traffic off the ISS is on
the pole too, so that together with the HF dipole will end up lying on the
house roof (concrete tile) for a week or so while I tend to the mast
fittings.  Then a re-erection and hopefully better performance.

One bonus from the proposed antenna work here is that I should then be
able to transmit a beacon as well as receive them on 30m.  Another bonus
is that I do have another HF rig that I can use once I have two HF
antennas, so I would then be able to listen on two bands should I wish.

Cheers all,
Noel  ZL3GR.