[OZAPRS] OT. Wierd hardware problem

Tony Hunt wavetel at bigpond.com
Sat Jul 22 14:22:41 EST 2006

Norm,   Like Rod said you wonder about the HD .. I have not been following
this thread with full attention I must admit..

Ive seen some hard drive faults that dont exactly look like hard drive
faults.. Try booting from a live CD when stone cold and see if that
eliminates the HD from the situation.. Ive also seen memory which errors
when cold..

Ive seen (like you) CPUs that overheat. Its usually settings like
overclocking and bad core voltage that dont help this problem.. When
things
are too cold and need heating up to work its usually a hardware issue at a
grass roots level like a dry joint or bad socket.. Ive seen bad CPU
sockets
that cant be fixed. Once they are ok and reseat properly then dont move
the
thing and probably it will be ok.. Just never move it again.. If its a dry
solder joint on or near the socket then it may be impossible to get at..
Heating up the CPU will also heat up the surrounding components and board.
Have you tried another CPU at all ??

Tony Hunt  VK5AH