[OZAPRS] Balloon

Craig Turner craig at craigturner.id.au
Wed Jul 19 10:35:03 EST 2006

Thanks all to the input so far.

I do hope the launch now goes ahead on Friday. The balloon construction
URL is now working
http://www.alistairdickie.com

I plan to leave my home computer  with UI-View connected to the VK IS
feed and tracking both my car and the balloon, so hopefully I if I loose
it on direct RF I may be able to check the logs, I may even have to send
out a BUL if I loose it in case anyone else is picking it up on RF.

I'm thinking if it reaches a potential altitude of 40'000 feet (which
Alistair believes it may), it should hit quite a few digipeaters
throughout VK2, so a greater concern is payload failure, rather than
loosing the signal.

In answer to a few questions, it is no longer tethered to the clothes
line, I've bought it in to make some mods. It should go up again some
time this morning. I am going to continue a beacon time of 3 minutes in
testing, although I've had a few good suggestions for smart beaconing
settings. At the moment I am sticking to 3 minute beacons because smart
beaconing won't really work that well when its hanging off the clothes
line! But I am going to 'model' a few smart beacon settings. Its a pity
I can't use altitude as part of the algorithm.

My concern with a longer beacon time is that if it beacons, say 5
minutes before final impact, it could still be moving at around 20-30
kph before impact, that means it could travel 2-3k before final impact.
If the transmitter ceases transmission on impact that could be a fairly
large search area!

I'm already thinking for my next project I will use a TNC-X with a fixed
beacon and a PIC feeding APRS formatted telemetry into the TNC-X's
serial port..This would also allow commands to be transmitted to the
balloon as well (such as cutting the payload away from the balloon etc)

Anyway, I will give more updates if people are interested, and probably
start a launch site object 12hrs prior to launch.

The Object will be IC1_LC-xx where xx is the proposed launch. I will
change the object to IC1_LC+ once the launch has succeeded, or replace
it with IC1_ABRT if the launch aborts.

I will also send a bulletin 12 hrs prior, and at the moment of launch .

Awaiting some feed back from CASA and the right weather now.

Regards
Craig