[OZAPRS] Balloon

Richard Murnane vk2sky at unwired.com.au
Fri Jul 21 20:06:58 EST 2006

Hi Craig,

You wrote:

> The radio is currently set at its low power setting (which is below 2
> watts) and the beacon interval

Perhaps a bit late for hardware mods, but the TinyTrak can drive a
relay that will switch your radio on just before beaconing then
switch it off, which might give you some leeway to use a higher
transmit power.

In another message you wrote:

> My concern with a longer beacon time is that if it beacons, say 5
> minutes before final impact, it could still be moving at around 20-30
> kph before impact, that means it could travel 2-3k before final
> impact.
> If the transmitter ceases transmission on impact that could be a
> fairly
> large search area!

Have you checked out the Smart Beaconing settings? You can make the
beacon rate dependent on the speed of the balloon. As for ceasing
transmission on impact, presumably it won't change direction; and I
doubt that anyone would mind if you beaconed more often, eg 1 - 2
minutes.

Anyway, good luck with the flight!

73 Richard VK2SKY
____