[OZAPRS] TinyTrack

Terry Neumann tfn at rbe.net.au
Fri Jul 14 09:46:27 EST 2006

Norm, VK2XCI wrote:

>Has anyone modded a TinyTrack to power a GPS? (Garmin GPS-12)
>
>Is it only a matter of changing the 3Terminal Regulator?
>
>What pin have you sent the 5V to.
>
>AA alkalines are getting expensive and it has quite an appetite!!!
>

>Norm

I supply the power to the GPS's via the tinytrack boxes but I don't use
the TT3 board - just a picofuse from the main 12 volt in-point in the
box to one of the unused DB-9 pins which goes to the GPS.  (I am not
sure which one I used - I don 't have the docs in the house).

My Garmin GPS II+ and the GPS 45 both accept 12 volts so there isn't any
requirement for involving the 5 volt section of the TT3 board.   If this
were necessary it would be a matter of  not only upgrading the 5 volt
reg IC but quite a bit of heat sink  work as well would be required as
well.

Incidentally Norm , I thought  that the GPS 12  used a 12 volt external
supply, so the solution may be more simple that you are contemplating.

For the GPS 18 which I am now using in the car, I use the same 12 volt
pinout on the TT3 box, but have built a 7805 and the bits into the DB9
backshell to give the GPS 18 the 5 volts it needs.  I used a metal
backshell to give crude heatsink for the 7805 - it does get quite warm
even with this, and this may become an issue in the summer months.
73
Terry
VK5ATN